I made these recently for a pot-luck dinner, and there were no leftovers.
Author: Joan Donogh
Recipe type: Main
- 1 large or 2 small cabbages
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground pork
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can (680 ml/24 ounces) tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worchestershire sauce
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Separate leaves from cabbage. You will need about 24 large leaves, or more if you make the cabbage rolls smaller. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and boil the leaves for 2 minutes until softened. Drain.
- In a large bowl combine eggs, milk, onion, garlic. beef, pork, rice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Take 1 cabbage leaf, trim hard core from the bottom of it if required. Take about ¼ cup of meat mixture, roll into a log shape and place near the top of the cabbage leaf. Roll up, tucking in ends. Place in slow cooker. Continue with remaining cabbage leaves and meat.
- Combine sauce ingredients and pour over cabbage rolls in slow cooker. Cook on low for 8 to 9 hours.
- Makes about 24 cabbage rolls, or more if you make them smaller.
If the leaves are hard to separate from the cabbage, you can boil the cabbage first and then separate the leaves. If you are not making these for a pot-luck you could half the recipe, or you could freeze some to enjoy at a later time.