Mom used to make these. They’re good, with a surprise cherry inside!
Cookies with a maraschino cherry hidden inside.
Author: Joan Donogh
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup icing (confectioners') sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Marachino cherries (about 30) plus juice
- Additional icing sugar
- Coconut (optional)
- Soften butter to room temperature. Drain cherries well (reserving juice) and dry with paper towel. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Cream butter and sugar. Add egg yolks and beat well. Stir in almond extract. Blend in flour and salt.
- Pinch off a piece of dough. Press the dough in the palm of your hand and place a cherry on top. Mould the dough around the cherry to form a ball.
- Place balls on a greased cookie sheet and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Make a thin icing with icing sugar and some of the reserved cherry juice. When cool, dip the cookie tops in icing, and dip into coconut if desired.