Tasty as a holiday confection, or just any time. I made these for my wedding.
Very tasty bon-bons!
Author: Joan Donogh
Recipe type: Dessert
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 3½ cups icing (confectioners) sugar
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (e.g. Eagle Brand)
- 3 cups unsweetened flaked coconut
- 8 squares (1 oz each) semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- In mixer bowl combine butter, sugar and sweetened condensed milk. Beat until smooth. Stir in coconut.
- Refrigerate for about an hour, until the mixture is firm enough to roll in balls.
- Roll mixture into small balls - using a small cookie scoop makes it easy to make uniform size balls.
- Place balls on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and chill for about an hour until firm.
- Melt chocolate and shortening together in microwave
- Place a chilled coconut ball on a fork and dip in the chocolate to coat. Remove from chocolate and shake to remove excess chocolate.
- Using a second fork, slide the chocolate coated ball off the first fork onto a wax paper covered cookie sheet. Continue until all balls are coated. Place cookie sheet in the fridge until chocolate is hardened. Place in a covered container and store in the fridge. Can also be frozen.