One of my favorites – great coffee flavor! If you like coffee, be sure to try this.
Coffee flavored coffeecake with a coffee crumb topping and filling
Author: Joan Donogh
Recipe type: Brunch
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sour cream
- Mix together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and instant coffee powder. Blend in butter until crumbly. Stir in nuts. (I prepare the topping in the food processor.) Set aside.
- Mix boiling water and coffee powder together. Put in the refrigerator to cool while you prepare the batter.
- In mixer bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
- In a small bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine sour cream with cooled coffee.
- Add flour mixture and sour cream mixture alternately to the creamed ingredients, mixing after each addition.
- Spread half of the cake batter in a greased 9 inch tube cake pan. Sprinkle half of the topping over the batter. Spread the remaining batter, and top with the remaining topping.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 55 to 60 minutes. Cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then run a knife around the sides and remove cake from pan.