I don’t know why this cake is called lazy daisy, but it is good.
Lazy Daisy Oatmeal Cake
Oatmeal cake with a broiled nut and coconut topping.
Author: Joan Donogh
Recipe type: Dessert
- 1 cup uncooked rolled oats (instant or regular)
- 1¼ cups boiling water
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cream or milk
- ¾ cup flaked coconut
- ⅓ cup chopped nuts
- In a shallow bowl, combine rolled oats and boiling water. Let sit for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In mixer bowl cream butter. Add sugars and beat until light. Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix flour, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Remove beaters from creamed mixture. Stir in rolled oat mixture. Fold in flour mixture.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 inch square cake pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Combine all ingredients. Spread over the hot cake.
- Return the cake to the oven, under the broiler. Broil until the topping is bubbly and tinged with gold. Watch it as it will burn easily.