Lemon and poppy seeds – a classic combination in these muffins.
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
Author: Joan Donogh
Recipe type: Breakfast
Serves: 12 muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ⅓ cup canola oil or melted butter
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in lemon zest.
- In a second bowl, beat eggs. Beat in buttermilk, oil and lemon juice.
- Pour egg mixture over flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Spoon batter into greased or paper lined muffin tins. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.