I really like pesto sauce, it is an easy treat in the summer when the basil is growing in the garden. But the traditional recipes contain a lot of oil – this version is very tasty, and you needn’t feel guilty at all!
- ⅔ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ⅓ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- Combine stock and garlic and heat in the microwave on high for 5 minutes (or heat on the stove). Allow to cool.
- Chop basil in food processor. Add cooled stock, Parmesan cheese and pine nuts. Whirl until everything is finely chopped and blended.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta of your choice. Toss sauce with pasta. Serve with additional Parmesan cheese if desired. Makes 4 servings