Another classic. Serve with whipped cream.
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
A classic comfort food dessert
Author: Joan Donogh
Recipe type: Dessert
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 9 slices canned pineapple
- 9 maraschino cherries
- 1¾ cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Melt ⅓ cup of butter in a 9 inch square cake pan in the oven and remove from heat. Stir in the brown sugar.
- Arrange pineapple slices on top of the sugar, and put a cherry inside of each pineapple ring. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl cream remaining butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and continue beating until light. Stir in vanilla.
- Alternate additions of dry ingredients and milk to the creamed mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Pour over the pineapple in the cake pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then turn upside down over a serving plate. Leave the pan on top of the cake for 2 to 3 minutes to let all the syrup and fruit drop out. Serve warm.