This is a healthier choice as far as cookies go, and they are very moist and tasty too.
Whole Wheat Gingerbread Date Cookies
Author: Joan Donogh
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- ¼ cup boiling water
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Place dates in a small bowl and pour boiling water over. Set aside to soak.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, ground flax seed, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt.
- In another bowl, combine egg, brown sugar, molasses and butter. Add dates and water to this mixture.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid ingredients, stir to combine.
- Refrigerate the dough for about an hour until firm enough to roll.
- Take rounded teaspoons of dough and form into balls (dust your palms with flour to prevent sticking.)
- Place balls 2 inches apart on greased baking sheets, and bake at 350 degrees F. for about 10 minutes. Cookies should still be soft to the touch.
- Remove from pan to a baking rack to cool. Makes about 40 cookies.